Monday, October 17, 2011

Ireland - sort of.

Photobucket

Ireland!

I made corned beef and Irish soda bread.

Corned Beef:

First I purchased a whole brisket, about 8 lbs, and brined it for 8 days.

Photobucket

I simmered the brisket for 4 hours.

Photobucket

I added whiskey just before finishing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Soda Bread:

Photobucket

I shaped it into a round cake and cut into quarters, then cooked in a dry cast iron skillet until done.

Photobucket

Finished:

Photobucket

This one was really a hit. There is already a request in for next St. Patrick's Day.

Epilogue -

Corned beef isn't Irish. Who knew???? Apparently, corned beef is an Irish-American dish that came from Jewish kosher beef. Irish immigrants settled near Jewish settlements in New York and Boston and became fond of the kosher beef sold in Jewish delis.

No comments:

Post a Comment